Discussion Board
Hey gang!

There is always a player or two that comes out of nowhere and makes the team or at least makes a strong case for more playing time. I wanted to list a few of my picks and have y'all do the same.

Joe Kerridge (F😎
- I believe he could unseat Aaron Ripkowski. I feel like he is the more capable blocker of the two.

Ahmad Thomas (L😎
- Undersized... maybe, but he'd be a potential asset in pass defense as an LB. I'd want to see where he is now with tackling and run defense. It'd be hard to unseat Ryan, who is more natural in that role, but Thomas has more hybrid potential.

Tim Boyle (Q😎
- Longshot for the roster based on time invested in Hundley and trade investment in Kizer, but this guy has me intrigued. If he pulls off something akin to what Taysom Hill accomplished last season, do we risk him to the wires?

Emanuel Byrd (TE)
- Kendricks is a solid player but there's something about Byrd and his work ethic that makes me believe he has to make a strong case to make him expendable. He's been solid when he's gotten opportunities. I'm intrigued to see what he does with them this year and if that's enough to steal a spot from Lance.
Topic Starter
    DarkaneRules

Was thanked: 948 time(s) in 698 post(s)
Equinemius St Brown. Is he low key? I was calling for him in the draft, so I gotta back him to make the 53. Him and Jmon have the skills to be #4 as rookies. I'll expect alot more in year two, but I think they can be rotational guys this year.

Devonte Mays. Word is, he has lost his confidence. Going to the back of the line for drills, not running to the next drill, seems like he may of lost his confidence. But I like his skill set. He fell in the draft after he missed his senior year due to injury. Hang onto the ball, dude.

Yancey. Kind of a hoodie clone. I'm secretly watching him to beat out Cobb.

JK Scott. Not to jinx him, but let's see what the hype is all about.
    nerdmann

Was thanked: 1809 time(s) in 1443 post(s)
I love these kind of topics, looking for guys that are being over looked.
Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules

Joe Kerridge (F😎, Ahmad Thomas (L😎, Tim Boyle (Q😎, Emanuel Byrd (TE)

I like you're selections.

FB: FB has been strange to me because I feel as Kerridge is the better pure blocker, while Ripkowski is the better athlete/player/weapon. But the Packers seem to refuse to use the FB outside of blocking and STs. If that's going to be continue, then maybe the best pure blocker (Kerridge) should be getting the job?

I'm still a tad disappointed that in 2016, with all the RB injuries, we didn't see Ripkowski at RB... I felt like Ripkowski at RB and Kerridge at FB would of made a good power running game. But instead we got the creative (and stupid) 3 FB play, where Ripkowski, Kerridge and Springs all lined up at FB with a RB. Rodgers only had one WR to throw to, so they smartly just over attacked the backfield.

ILB: I think most 3-4 teams have been only keeping about 3 ILBers lately as Safeties have played a larger role. But the Packers have surprised me, bringing in a lot of extra smaller ILBers as UDFAs (Greer Martini, Marcus Porter, CJ Johnson, Parris Bennett)... so I'm thinking a 4th ILB like Ahmad Thomas might make the roster this year... and Thomas was a SS in college, so he might be better in coverage than some of the others ILB options.

TE: I like Emanuel Byrd, but I don't think he's beating out the vets yet. But Kendricks still might have a suspension coming from his traffic stop (with a banned substance) last year and Byrd might replace him during the suspension and if they don't resign either Lewis or Kendricks.
    beast

Was thanked: 1533 time(s) in 1173 post(s)
I am wondering with Marcedes Lewis as a top notch blocking TE if we are sold on must having a FB? We would miss Rip as a special team player though.
    TheKanataThrilla

Was thanked: 787 time(s) in 569 post(s)

There is always a player or two that comes out of nowhere and makes the team or at least makes a strong case for more playing time. I wanted to list a few of my picks and have y'all do the same.

A list of guys that I'm excited might be able to really step up for the Packers this year include: WR Clark, OG Amichia, OG McCray, OT Murphy, DT Adams, OLB Biegel, OLB Gilbert, ILB Burks, CB Waters.

OG McCray, OT Murphy, OLB Biegel, OLB Gilbert
I'm not sure if these four are out of nowhere, but I'm excited about them because they all played better than expected last year and potentially grow into a much bigger role this year and maybe become starters.

ILB Burks: This might be early, but I loved Burks coverage ability for a LB. It probably will be over looked, but his coverage ability can setup great surprise blitz opportunities for himself or others.

CB Waters: This is mainly based on that I liked watching him two years ago and the CB coach compared him to CB Tramon Williams, that he could potentially break out, but instead had a season ending injury.

OG Amichia: Amichia just looked so dang athletic last year, you could tell there is long term potential. Packers' Larry McCarren basically reported that rookie Amichia just needs to learn the plays and have the game mentally slow down for him, so he can play at full speed, but if that happens and he gets a little stronger he could potentially come out of no where and play well.

DT Adams: Rookie DTs usually suck and Adams had an injury which took away his entire training camp. But I thought Adams college film showed, when he's asked to pin his ears back and attack, he has some GREAT penetrating into the backfield potential. He could be great on 3rd downs or with an aggressive scheme and Pettine likes to be aggressive and getting one on one match-ups up front.

WR Clark: Last year, Clark came into training camp EXTREMELY raw but he kept developing through training camp. In the last two games of the year, he got to play some, and I thought he looked more developed than WR Trevor Davis, which has given me some hope that he might be able to be the #4 WR this year. Also because it sounds like the Packers said "no" to Nelson interest in coming back on a cheap contract, which make me think someone like Allison or Clark has given the Packers hope for the future of outside WR, even before the draft happened.
    beast

JK Scott - Really looking forward to seeing him punt
    Grabacr

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Montravius Adams
I think he's a perfect fit in Pettine's D asking the DL to get after the QB. He has the speed and natural ability to be a factor.

Lenzy Pipkins
I liked how he played when he finally got his chance. At least he stuck his helmet in there and made some plays. He's going to make some other guys have to show some really good stuff this summer and that's not a bad thing.
    warhawk

Was thanked: 375 time(s) in 228 post(s)
Great thread! Keep up the good comments. I have nothing. I couldn't even spot you 12 guys on the Packers right now so they are all kind of low-key. I'll have to check the roster and of course those 40 times!
    Zero2Cool

Was thanked: 5835 time(s) in 3949 post(s)

Emanuel Byrd (TE)
- Kendricks is a solid player but there's something about Byrd and his work ethic that makes me believe he has to make a strong case to make him expendable. He's been solid when he's gotten opportunities. I'm intrigued to see what he does with them this year and if that's enough to steal a spot from Lance.

Couldn't agree more.
I do think The Packers will keep 4 TE's, so both will be around.
Is Kendricks going to be facing an early season suspension?
Byrd is intriguing.
I think by mid season he will be making a name for himself.
    buckeyepackfan

Was thanked: 1156 time(s) in 875 post(s)
Demitri Goodson could beat out Davon House. Am I right?
    nerdmann

Byrd and his work ethic

Just wondering how do we know about his work ethic? I'm assuming I missed a good article or video. I'm expecting Byrd to keep growing and I agree he's intriguing, I just think it's been talking TEs longer to grow and get ready and so I think he's another year off.
Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan

Is Kendricks going to be facing an early season suspension?

Not currently no... but I'm thinking there could be one coming, as Kendricks (like Aaron Jones) was charged with marijuana possession last season. Of course, one big difference is that Jones' case ended in late Feb with Jones pleading no contest (it took to early July to get the suspension), and the latest I can find about Kendricks' case is
fox6now.com wrote:A pre-trial conference is set for March 9 in Outagamie County court. If convicted, the fine is $326.50.

But I could be wrong, he might be able to quietly pay the fine and get them to drop the charges and then maybe the NFL won't suspended him, because there was no arrest and no guilty pl

Originally Posted by: nerdmann

Demitri Goodson could beat out Davon House. Am I right?

In my opinion, there is no chance for Goodson other than STs... the last couple of times I've seen him at CB, he looked HORRIBLE! Looked like he was guessing a lot, and guessing wrong at that. But who knows, in theory he could have changed something, or they could be looking for a ST gunner now that Janis is gone (but I think Safety Evans will also be battling for that).
    beast

Zero2Cool

Was thanked: 5835 time(s) in 3949 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool

Biegel over Gilbert tho. Gilbert is this year's Cyril Obeozor.
    nerdmann