Originally Posted by: Cheesey

Was giving him the big contract a gamble? Yes. But he still is one of the best QBs in the NFL. I for one am not in a hurry to return to the 1970s and 1980s, where we considered beating the Bears one game made it a good season.
The younger people on this site have no idea what it’s like to be long time losers. They are used to the Packers being competitive.
The chances of getting another great QB to follow Favre and Rodgers is slim at best.
Look at all the teams in the NFL that have drafted QB after QB, HOPING to get one that would be their franchise QB, only to have another bust.
We have been so fortunate.
We just had 2 bad seasons. Imagine having that for the next 20 or so years.

If he plays like he did last year, it will be closer to 1985 than 2010.

Fortunately Murphy hired a guy who made a Pro Bowler out of Rookie RBGIII, and also exhibited his skillset elsewhere, to salvage the rest of Aaron's career.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
  • nerdmann
  • Was thanked: 1826 time(s) in 1451 post(s)
Well done KRK. I am going to up my game and call Rourke, Dr NSD. My brother, by the way, hates it when I call him, "😉r Scott" in non formal occasions. Sometimes I do it just to piss him off a little. Mainly because I can. Other times I am trying to give him credit for his efforts.
O God, Thy Sea Is So Great And My Boat Is So Small
  • wpr
  • Was thanked: 2837 time(s) in 2108 post(s)
You can have an opinion as to whether it was a mistake or not (I don't have an opinion one way or the other at this point) but no one can say for sure. We probably won't know for another 2 years at the very least and probably more. In fact we may not be able to say one way or the other until Aaron is done. If we win another SB with Aaron Rodgers then the answer will probably be no it wasn't a mistake. If we come close but can't pull it off then the answer is probably maybe and if we fail to make the playoffs or be a serious contender because AR's cap numbers prevent us from putting talent around him then the answer will most likely be yes it was a mistake. As it stands though no one can answer that question.
Every team has fans that fans of other teams point to and say "all their fans are assholes" Don't be one of those fans.
  • sschind
  • Was thanked: 1125 time(s) in 792 post(s)
True, Sschind. The only way we will know if it was good or bad will be how the Packers do from here on out.
It’s easy for us to throw out opinions, but we aren’t the ones that will take the heat or the accolades depending on how it turns out.
I’m glad they signed him long term.
If it blows up, so be it.
I’d rather have it this way then having to worry each year whether or not Aaron Rodgers will be our QB.
If they pick up on defense (not allowing score after score) and our 2nd year WRs grow as they should, we should have a strong team and shot at a championship.
JMO of course.
UserPostedImage
  • Cheesey
  • Was thanked: 1636 time(s) in 1182 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cheesey

True, Sschind. The only way we will know if it was good or bad will be how the Packers do from here on out.
It’s easy for us to throw out opinions, but we aren’t the ones that will take the heat or the accolades depending on how it turns out.
I’m glad they signed him long term.
If it blows up, so be it.
I’d rather have it this way then having to worry each year whether or not Aaron Rodgers will be our QB.
If they pick up on defense (not allowing score after score) and our 2nd year WRs grow as they should, we should have a strong team and shot at a championship.
JMO of course.

That's pretty much how I see it. I know they could have had him for two more years under contract and then at least 1 year of the franchise tag but then what. I highly doubt it would have ever come to that and I don't think I would have wanted it to. Going that route IMO would have almost guaranteed we would be looking for a new starting QB after the 2020 season as I think Rodgers would have been pissed off enough to play for the franchise tender and then leave. If not they would have to give him way too much money for an old guy anyway. Most likely Rodgers would have played last year and they would have been looking to redo the contract now and racing the Seahawks to get the deal done before the re-upped Wilson and set the bar even higher.

Some people were worried about his shoulder and would have preferred to wait and I understand that but honestly it didn't worry me that much. I think Rodgers is still a top 5 QB with the talent to be the top guy for the next few years and if he is they would have ended up paying him anyway.

Russel Wilson will reset the bar in the next dew weeks and in a year or two someone else will reset it again. I don't really like it but that's the way it is right now and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Every team has fans that fans of other teams point to and say "all their fans are assholes" Don't be one of those fans.
  • sschind
The Seahawks will not pay him that much.
  • gbguy20
  • Was thanked: 1035 time(s) in 774 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gbguy20

The Seahawks will not pay him that much.

I guess I honestly don't see it happening either. I can see some sort of wording or structuring that makes it seem like he is getting more but in reality it won't be.

• sschind
It’s frustrating. How much money is enough? I mean, you can only spend so much in a lifetime.
And Rodgers shoulder doesn’t worry me that much. It’s a collar bone, not a rotator cuff. With the metal bar put in, it should be stronger then it was before the injury.
Now that he has a season behind him, he can R*E*L*A*X and play like we know he can.
UserPostedImage
  • Cheesey
Ya all ever think about THAT?

• Zero2Cool
  • Was thanked: 5844 time(s) in 3955 post(s)
It most likely had a lot to do with his lack of accuracy last year.
I just hope it’s all healed.
UserPostedImage
  • Cheesey
No, just no.

Look, Rodgers needs to play better, but he is a franchise QB in a game where the rules are extending QB’s careers into their 40s. I think a fair criticism is if Rodgers is taking too much. Does Tom Brady need to be the highest paid player? No, he needs to win. It is what he lives for. I wish Rodgers had more of that in him, but it’s his career.
  • porky88
  • Was thanked: 536 time(s) in 294 post(s)