Packers' Talk wrote
Quote:

Did the Packers Lose Confidence in Lane Taylor?
Posted on 05/16/2019 by Brandon Carwile

No bullseye rests more heavily on a Green Bay Packer more than it does for left guard Lane Taylor. Not only will the team return last year’s draft pick Cole Madison but they went out in the 2019 draft and selected a future starting interior lineman in Elgton Jenkins. Now, Taylor’s job at starting left guard for the past three years is in jeopardy.

Taylor and Byron Bell were one of the two worst guard pairings in the NFL last season. The result was constant pressure up the middle which caused Aaron Rodgers to flush out of the pocket to hopefully find an improvised route downfield. You probably know how this story ends.

Just two years ago, the Packers signed Taylor to a three-year extension at a team-friendly price. His previous play impressed the team so much it actually allowed them peace of mind in cutting an All-Pro in Josh Sitton.

However, something about last season was just off with Taylor. Maybe we can chalk it up to injuries but something was not right about a guy the team had put extraordinary trust in a short while ago.

Pro Football Focus had his pass and run blocking numbers at all-time lows since becoming the starter. Taylor also allowed a team-high eight sacks and 36 quarterback pressures.

At the end of the season, he talked about getting back to his old ways. Taylor spent all of the last offseason nursing an ankle injury that eventually required surgery. Later, foot and knee injuries forced him to sit out a game and miss long stretches of others in 2018.

Perhaps Taylor needs the benefit of the doubt that injuries wrecked his season but it doesn’t look like the Packers are taking any chances. Green Bay has three new players who can play guard that weren’t on the team a year ago.

He will have every chance come training camp to be the starter but to pull it off Taylor needs to find the path to get back to his steady play. Hopefully, it all starts with getting healthy.

Yes, they did...and justifiably so.

I hope he returns to 2017 form, but 2016 and 2018, whatever the reason, he was not good.

I am glad we have options and competition at the position.
Topic Starter
  • KRK
  • Was thanked: 400 time(s) in 263 post(s)
With the guys we have on this roster right now, we have a ton of competition for the oline. I'm very confident we will have one heck of a line this year. I'd like to say we can make Taylor a cap casualty because of that, but the way injuries fuck this team year after year we should probably keep him for depth.
  • gbguy20
  • Was thanked: 1035 time(s) in 774 post(s)
I actually thought Taylor was really good the last half of the year after a rough start to the season. I don't know anything about his grades of whatever but that was the feeling I got watching.
  • steveishere
  • Was thanked: 2032 time(s) in 1267 post(s)
Not a zone blocking guy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
  • nerdmann
  • Was thanked: 1826 time(s) in 1451 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nerdmann

Not a zone blocking guy.

Ok, how's his pad level? 😁
O God, Thy Sea Is So Great And My Boat Is So Small
  • wpr
  • Was thanked: 2837 time(s) in 2108 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KRK

Packers' Talk wrote

Yes, they did...and justifiably so.

I hope he returns to 2017 form, but 2016 and 2018, whatever the reason, he was not good.

I am glad we have options and competition at the position.

I doubt they lose confidence in him, KRK, as he was a great player in 2017. Had surgery on his ankle in the offseason 2017, and suffered for it during more than the first half of the 2018 season, only to injure a foot and a knee to finish the year out. That stuff happens, but, he was a proven player. He was rock solid all 2017. Wouldn't doubt if he makes the 53, and contends again for a starting spot next to Bak.

The competition on this Packers OL is going to be very steep, which is a good thing. What do we keep, 8 or 9 OL generally? Wouldn't be surprised to see it go like this:

Bakhtiari - Nijman
Jenkins - Taylor
Linsley
Turner - Madison
Bulaga - Light
  • play2win
  • Was thanked: 737 time(s) in 537 post(s)
P2W posted:
Quote:

I doubt they lost confidence in him, KRK, as he was a great player in 2017.

Good player...yes. Great player...no. He had a good year, but I am not sure if he a great fit for the new system.

I think he makes the roster, but I put it less than 50/50 that he starts. Further, if they can pick up an experienced, more athletic guy off waivers or cheap, I think they would make the swap.
Topic Starter
  • KRK
  • Was thanked: 400 time(s) in 263 post(s)